One Mama Duck

Crafting my way through life - one adventure at a time.

Hi! I'm LisaDV. Thanks for stopping by. This is my life, crazy and chaotic most of the time, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Thursday, December 3, 2015

My December Daily

The contractor has started the work. The first work day being - December 1st. We're on day 3 and I just realized this is my December Daily. Plus I need to remember to take photos in process. And to think I actually use to always be taking photos, and now I can't ever seem to remember too.

Day 1: The first day was cutting holes for the footings for support beams in the basement. Talk about stench and dust! Even with us trying to block most of the holes and major spots, the flooring itself would allow the dust through.

This is what it looked like after day one. There are actually 7-8 of these holes in the basement. Don worked tirelessly in between work calls to help them, which helps keep our costs down since we're on an hourly rate for each worker here.  After they had left there was a 5 foot by 3 foot section that was just dirt at the bottom of the stairs and over to the door of the water heater room that Don and I cleared down 3 inches. Don wanted concrete poured there as well.

Day 2:  All of these holes had re-bar put drilled into them. And just like the size of the hole and the amount of holes may be over-kill, the re-bar as well. I wish I had taken a photo of the large holes, but imagine steel bars on each side of at least 4 per side. And then it was filled in with concrete. There was a whole palette of concrete brought in and when they left at 3:30, it was to go buy more concrete. The doorway and 3 holes were still empty at the end of the day. 

Over the course of the first two days, I kept myself busy taking off the old barn wood white painted paneling from the upstairs hallway. I want to keep that for a future project. Not sure what, but those hoarding tendencies obviously extend past crafting supplies. 

But as my niece pointed out, I should be tracking these changes. So I really like the idea of making this my blog a place to post about the construction process. It will hold me accountable and remind me to take those photos. 

WOO HOO for having this work complete.  Now to settle on a floor color.....

No comments:

Post a Comment